Software testing is an investigation conducted to provide stakeholders with information about the quality of the product or service under test. Software testing can also provide an objective, independent view of the software to allow the business to appreciate and understand the risks of software implementation. Test techniques include, but are not limited to, the process of executing a program or application with the intent of finding software bugs (errors or other defects).
Software testing can be stated as the process of validating and verifying that a software program/application/product:
1. meets the requirements that guided its design and development;
2. works as expected; and
3. can be implemented with the same characteristics.
There are two main categories of software testing, black box testing and white box testing. Black box testing is a technique which ignores the internal mechanism of the system and focuses on the output generated as a result of any input. It is also called functional testing.
White box testing is the technique that takes into count the internal mechanism of a system. It is also called structural testing. Some of the facts about software testing market are mentioned below;
- Software testing is 3 billion dollar industry
- Annual growth rate is 1.6%
- A huge demand due to current expansion in software development
- As a result of IT growth in all the sectors, software testing has become part of business domains as well such as Banking, Insurance, Construction etc